I’m a regular volunteer cook at Westgate Foodcycle in Newcastle (which I absolutely love and am missing at the moment! ), but as a Food Stylist, I am passionate about food and love creating! I am more than happy to share some of my creations with the Foodcyle community, here is one of my lockdown store cupboard recipes.
- 4 red peppers
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 175g vegetable mince, such as Beanit or Quorn
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano
- 150ml vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
Place the peppers under a hot grill and turn them whilst cooking until they are nicely chargrilled all over. Allow to cool slightly, then slice each pepper in half through the stalk, discarding the seeds.
To prepare the filling heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft. Increase the heat slightly add the vegetable mince, and brown according to pack instructions.
Add the chopped tomatoes, stir in the tomato puree and herbs together with the vegetable stock. Season to taste and add the drained chickpeas. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Divide the sauce between the halves of pepper and generously sprinkle over the Cheddar cheese. Place under a hot grill until the cheese is bubbling and browned and serve with some lovely fresh bread.
Follow Linda on Instagram